Old 14-11-2015, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Buttercups

In article ,
says...

I am somewhat behind in the garden this year, what with an
extended holiday Sept/Oct and the wet weather the digging has
yet to be done.

I made a start today and decided to do the quick way of digging
a full lentgh fork load and just turning in on its back so the
weather can do its wosrt/best, rather than tease out many of
the weeds as I dig.

However there is one patch that has been over run with
buttercups, and I'm not sure if turning them upside down will
destory them.

It won't, IME. If you leave them in soil they will recover and regrow.

I prefer to take them right out, leaves and roots, (using a fork).
Once you've made a start on a dense colony they loosen up quite easily.
Buttercups are a weed I happily put in the compost bin, they don't
survive that.

Janet