Old 13-11-2015, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Buttercups

I am somewhat behind in the garden this year, what with an
extended holiday Sept/Oct and the wet weather the digging has
yet to be done.

I made a start today and decided to do the quick way of digging
a full lentgh fork load and just turning in on its back so the
weather can do its wosrt/best, rather than tease out many of
the weeds as I dig.

However there is one patch that has been over run with
buttercups, and I'm not sure if turning them upside down will
destory them.

Does any one know?

Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 16-11-2015, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/11/2015 21:16, Roger Tonkin wrote:

However there is one patch that has been over run with
buttercups, and I'm not sure if turning them upside down will
destory them.

Does any one know?

I doubt it will do much more than inconvenience them. But at least they
won't be seeing the light any more this year if under the soil.

They are only shallow rooted and interconnected by runners so you can
rip them out fairly quickly after loosening the soil.

They are pretty resistent to glyphosate so you need to use a broadleaf
specific weedkiller (though it is probably to late now this year).
Whenever I have reclaimed scrubland the buttercups, ivy and holly
seedlings are all notable survivors.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

How do buttercups propagate? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 22-06-2006 12:35 PM
buttercups eddyjack United Kingdom 2 15-07-2005 06:38 PM
buttercups eddyjack Gardening 3 15-07-2005 04:38 PM
BUTTERCUPS ARE TAKING OVER THE GARDEN!!!! Mick709 Gardening 1 24-05-2004 06:02 AM
Swamp Buttercups Cynthia Donahey Ponds 1 12-02-2003 01:25 AM