Old 30-11-2015, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Serious woodlice damage on celeriac

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
wrote:

I have tried a couple of times to grow celeriac on my allotment,but each
time the roots are almost unusable due to woodlice boring into the roots
from below.

It's vanishingly unlikely to be woodlice. They are often found in
holes made by other pests, so get blamed, but their mouthparts are
not capable of gnawing holes in celeriac.

I thought that it was slug damage but I deal with slugs using slugbait
which leaves the area around like 'killing fields' for slugs-so they
work.

Against surface slugs. There are also subterranean ones.

I would agree with Nick, it's more likely that ground slugs, the sort the
ruin potatoes, are responsible and the woodlice are feeding on the damage.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.