Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storm Barney

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 19:38:49 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]
Btw, who had the idea of naming them [i.e. storms]?

Are you asking why are they named at all, or are you asking why do they
have the names they have? I think the former. The Met Office and its
Irish counterpart are trialling the use of names this Autumn and Winter
because they think it will raise awareness of potentially damaging wind
storms.

I do apologise for using the word "trialling".

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/rel...ame-our-storms

got storm Clodagh yesterday. Lashing rain but winds not quite as high as
Barney. Still around 50-55, and lifted some sheet steel roofing off my
wood
heap.

It was enough to break the moorings of the DFDS ferry when it was moored
in
Newcastle.

Locally storms resulted in a WWII V1 fuel or compression tank being washed
up on
the beach on Saturday, followed by 235kg of packets of cocaine yesterday.
There
was probably more than 235kg. The police were searching local beaches
aided by a
helicopter.
--

Well, that's a sort of benefit!

Here in the Midlands, I only got the high winds from Desmond, nothing like
the 14 inches of rain and floods that Cumbria got. I count myself lucky.
I did have a tree down but hey, that's nothing in comparison.