Old 27-01-2016, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default Our strange winter

On 26/01/2016 15:43, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 26/01/16 15:36, Malcolm Race wrote:
I have followed, with interest, the reports of unusual growth and
flowering of
plants.

I live in Fareham (between Portsmouth and Southampton) close to the
coast and
although daffodils (of various species) have been flowering since befor
Christmas, the few snowdrops which I have (in the same bed as the
daffodils)
have just started flowering at around the time I would expect. The
aspect of
the bed is on a gentle east facing slope but in the middkle of a housing
estate. The soil is cla/builders rubbis.

This is juse an observation to contribute to the apparently strange
behaviour of
plants this winter.

Not only plants. I've just found a ladybird crawling around my
kitchen, albeit very slowly. Unfortunately slugs, I presume,
are eating my cabbages.

Here in the low lying area of North Staffordshire I have wallflowers and
primroses in full bloom yet hardly any winter pansies in flower, most
unusual.