Old 26-01-2016, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Our strange winter

I have followed, with interest, the reports of unusual growth and
flowering of plants.

I live in Fareham (between Portsmouth and Southampton) close to the
coast and although daffodils (of various species) have been flowering
since befor Christmas, the few snowdrops which I have (in the same bed
as the daffodils) have just started flowering at around the time I would
expect. The aspect of the bed is on a gentle east facing slope but in
the middkle of a housing estate. The soil is cla/builders rubbis.

This is juse an observation to contribute to the apparently strange
behaviour of plants this winter.

Malcolm
Old 26-01-2016, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:36:15 +0000, Malcolm Race
wrote:

I have followed, with interest, the reports of unusual growth and
flowering of plants.

I live in Fareham (between Portsmouth and Southampton) close to the
coast and although daffodils (of various species) have been flowering
since befor Christmas, the few snowdrops which I have (in the same bed
as the daffodils) have just started flowering at around the time I would
expect. The aspect of the bed is on a gentle east facing slope but in
the middkle of a housing estate. The soil is cla/builders rubbis.

This is juse an observation to contribute to the apparently strange
behaviour of plants this winter.

Malcolm

Same here in Cheshire. We had a bunch of dafs flower early but the
snowdrops have just flowered. Perhaps the snowdrops have a better
clock that is not locked to the weather.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 26-01-2016, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/16 15:36, Malcolm Race wrote:
I have followed, with interest, the reports of unusual growth and flowering of
plants.

I live in Fareham (between Portsmouth and Southampton) close to the coast and
although daffodils (of various species) have been flowering since befor
Christmas, the few snowdrops which I have (in the same bed as the daffodils)
have just started flowering at around the time I would expect. The aspect of
the bed is on a gentle east facing slope but in the middkle of a housing
estate. The soil is cla/builders rubbis.

This is juse an observation to contribute to the apparently strange behaviour of
plants this winter.

Not only plants. I've just found a ladybird crawling around my
kitchen, albeit very slowly. Unfortunately slugs, I presume,
are eating my cabbages.

Old 27-01-2016, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/2016 15:43, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Here in the low lying area of North Staffordshire I have wallflowers and
primroses in full bloom yet hardly any winter pansies in flower, most
unusual.
Old 27-01-2016, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/2016 15:36, Malcolm Race wrote:
I have followed, with interest, the reports of unusual growth and
flowering of plants.

I live in Fareham (between Portsmouth and Southampton) close to the
coast and although daffodils (of various species) have been flowering
since befor Christmas, the few snowdrops which I have (in the same bed
as the daffodils) have just started flowering at around the time I would
expect. The aspect of the bed is on a gentle east facing slope but in
the middkle of a housing estate. The soil is cla/builders rubbis.

Mine is heavy clay in North Yorkshire and until last weekends snow we
had carnations and pelargoniums still in flower outside and a crop of
rhubarb. Daffodils still not quite out but the heads have turned down
and the snowdrops look like they will keep to a normal schedule - keyed
to day length perhaps?

A few sporadic yellow flowers out on Kerria japonica too and similar
shrubs confused by the mild weather.

Snowdrops are out in a neighbouring village but not here.

This is juse an observation to contribute to the apparently strange
behaviour of plants this winter.

Malcolm

All the fruit trees have rising sap buds bursting with the plum and pear
both thinking about flowering fairly soon. Could be very bad news for
cropping as there are precious few insects about.

I wonder if there is a risk this year of not satisfying the winter chill
requirements of apples for a good fruit set in the UK?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown