Old 01-02-2016, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Orchid Flower life

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

says...

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Over the weekend the last flower on my phal orchid fell off,
after the single stem (albeit branched) had been in open flower
for 6 months and 2 days. The last flower hung on alone for
about 3 weeks.

Is this a normal flowering period, or short or exceptionally
long?

That is perhaps longer than most but they can be in almost constant
flowering. We have a white one that as one spike has dropped it's flowers
they have opened on the other. Good value plants considering what cut
flowers cost and how long they last.

You may find your local Sainsbury's still has some Orchids for sale at £5
each, they seem to get some in every year in January and we have bought a
few over the last couple of years.

I've never managed to have more than one flower spike at a
time. I just put them up into a cool north facing room once
they've finished flowering, until the next spike develops.

It's a change in temperature that initiates flowering in these orchids. You
probably already know, but never cut off a flower spike unless it goes brown
as they usually re-flower on the same spike by extending it or branching.
You may also get a Keiki, a baby plant, grow on the old spike which you can
leave for as long as possible to get good roots before cutting off and
potting up.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.