Old 02-02-2016, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Orchid Flower life

On 01/02/2016 16:29, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Over the weekend the last flower on my phal orchid fell off,
after the single stem (albeit branched) had been in open flower
for 6 months and 2 days. The last flower hung on alone for
about 3 weeks.

Is this a normal flowering period, or short or exceptionally
long?

Interestingly, I've never noted the flowering period of mine except,
perhaps to observe that some go over more quickly than others (still
talking Phals here). Mind you, I have loads of Phals, so keeping a
calendar could become time-consuming! My experience is that the whites
often flower for a long time (months not weeks). If you also keep it
relatively cool (some of my neighbours homes are like ovens), that would
prolong flowering life, too.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London