Old 02-02-2016, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Orchid Flower life

"Spider" wrote
At the moment, I have 17 phals. I also have quite a few paphs, cymbs and
cambria types, plus one Cattaleya. Well over 30 orchids in all. This takes
quite a bit of care. I try to water mine somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks,
remembering to feed as well occasionally. I tend to use a special orchid
'bloom' feed to encourage flowers, although my cymbs get a very weak
Tomorite feed whilst outdoors in the summer. This seems to suit them. One
of my cymbs had 5 flower spikes, another had 7!! I have 2 others which are
not up to flowering strength yet because I had to divide them.

About five of my phals came to me via an elderly neighbour who can't look
after hers any more. She tended to water hers with cold tea (less milk!)
which she swore was good for them. What it has actually done is stained
the roots brownish-black which means they can't photosynthesise through
their roots. I tried to warn her this was happening, but she continued
with the tea regime. Even now I own them, they all still have some stained
roots and are weaker plants because of it, and I've had them at least three
years! Gradually, though, new roots are replacing the stained ones.

What I find interesting is that I water about every 10 days in winter and
every week in summer or even more if it's really hot. Just so long as they
almost dry between waterings. It's why clear pots are so useful.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.