Old 21-02-2016, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Race[_2_] Malcolm Race[_2_] is offline

Default Killing Ground Ivy

On 21/02/2016 13:08, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 12:20:11 -0000, "Endulini"
wrote:

Hi All,

I've a number of flower beds that the previous owners of my house allowed to
become swamped with an established layer of ivy, I'm happy enough to remove
it manually if necessary but am also very prepared to wage chemical warfare.
Is glyphosate the way to go or is there something a bit pokier that would
work? Is there anything specific to consider in the application (aside from
avoiding stuff I want to keep although I'm prepared for some collateral
damage).

I'm intending to replant the beds so don't want to sterilise the soil if I
can help it.

Cheers

As David and Janet have said, which is it? If you're not sure, images
of glechoma hederacea here http://tinyurl.com/zc4jov9 and common ivy
just growing on the ground, hedera helix, here
http://tinyurl.com/gqd7n7p .

If what you've got is the latter, then simply pulling it up is not
difficult. It's shallow rooted, and IME tends to grow in long trailing
stems that are easy to follow back to source. Glyphosate on it isn't
always successful, as the leaves are waxy and tend not to absorb the
glyphosate. It's not the right time of year for glyphosate, anyway, as
stuff needs to be growing well for it to be really effective.

Root out? I have found it very effective against ivy rooted to walls -
it is absorbed throgh the ancoring roots. As it is currently licensed
as a compost accelerator I cannot see that it will damage the soil

Try
http://www.garden-products.info/rootout.htm

Malcolm