Old 21-02-2016, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing Ground Ivy

Hi All,

I've a number of flower beds that the previous owners of my house allowed to
become swamped with an established layer of ivy, I'm happy enough to remove
it manually if necessary but am also very prepared to wage chemical warfare.
Is glyphosate the way to go or is there something a bit pokier that would
work? Is there anything specific to consider in the application (aside from
avoiding stuff I want to keep although I'm prepared for some collateral
damage).

I'm intending to replant the beds so don't want to sterilise the soil if I
can help it.

Cheers

Old 21-02-2016, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing Ivy Growing along ground

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 12:55:01 -0000, "Endulini"
wrote:

Sorry - to clarify, it is ivy that's growing along the ground (didn't
realise there was a plant called ground ivy)

Just pull it up back or cut is back to were it is rooted. Then it
won't regrow much if at all. Glyphosate won't kill ivy because it
doesn't absorb through its leaves.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 21-02-2016, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/02/2016 13:08, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 12:20:11 -0000, "Endulini"
wrote:

Hi All,

I've a number of flower beds that the previous owners of my house allowed to
become swamped with an established layer of ivy, I'm happy enough to remove
it manually if necessary but am also very prepared to wage chemical warfare.
Is glyphosate the way to go or is there something a bit pokier that would
work? Is there anything specific to consider in the application (aside from
avoiding stuff I want to keep although I'm prepared for some collateral
damage).

I'm intending to replant the beds so don't want to sterilise the soil if I
can help it.

Cheers

As David and Janet have said, which is it? If you're not sure, images
of glechoma hederacea here http://tinyurl.com/zc4jov9 and common ivy
just growing on the ground, hedera helix, here
http://tinyurl.com/gqd7n7p .

If what you've got is the latter, then simply pulling it up is not
difficult. It's shallow rooted, and IME tends to grow in long trailing
stems that are easy to follow back to source. Glyphosate on it isn't
always successful, as the leaves are waxy and tend not to absorb the
glyphosate. It's not the right time of year for glyphosate, anyway, as
stuff needs to be growing well for it to be really effective.

Root out? I have found it very effective against ivy rooted to walls -
it is absorbed throgh the ancoring roots. As it is currently licensed
as a compost accelerator I cannot see that it will damage the soil

Try
http://www.garden-products.info/rootout.htm

Malcolm
Old 22-02-2016, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi All,

I've a number of flower beds that the previous owners of my house allowed
to become swamped with an established layer of ivy, I'm happy enough to
remove it manually if necessary but am also very prepared to wage chemical
warfare.

Just pull it out. Very little will grow back, and any that does gives up
very easily. I know, I took over a very large garden where Ivy had spread
everywhere.

Mike

Old 22-02-2016, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Sorry - to clarify, it is ivy that's growing along the ground (didn't
realise there was a plant called ground ivy)

Decent fork to break the soil up and then pull the stuff up in handfuls.
It isn't hard as they are mostly shallow roots witha few deeper tap
roots at least in my soil. It roots down where it touches.

Just pull it up back or cut is back to were it is rooted. Then it
won't regrow much if at all. Glyphosate won't kill ivy because it
doesn't absorb through its leaves.

Indeed. Ivy and holly seedlings are one of the few survivors of mass
application of glyphosate to waste grounds. The waxy layer on the leaves
protects them from all but the most powerful wetting agents.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-02-2016, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

Sorry - to clarify, it is ivy that's growing along the ground (didn't
realise there was a plant called ground ivy)

Just pull it up back or cut is back to were it is rooted. Then it
won't regrow much if at all. Glyphosate won't kill ivy because it
doesn't absorb through its leaves.

I consider ground ivy a blessing, as it is pretty effective at seeing
off ground elder (or, at least, deterring it). It's good ground cover,
and doesn't really affect taller plants. As it's not deeply rooted, it's
easily kept in check by pulling it out (see above). If you really want
to get rid of it, just keep pulling, and it eventually gets the message.

--
Ian

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
killing off IVY Tangy Australia 12 05-11-2008 12:32 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Killing and removing Poison Ivy. Danny Gardening 6 14-05-2006 09:51 PM
Killing Ivy Pioden United Kingdom 4 09-06-2005 07:32 PM