Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Gabion Wall for garden - worth doing?

On 3/7/2016 1:11 PM, garjobo wrote:
I did state amid my ramblings that the noise was simply that neighbours
talked loudly. Which sounds like a small complaint ( believe me in
another house we had 4 dogs to contend with, abusive etc etc however
it's mightly annoying to hear OTT speaking about nothing more intresting
than 'put the washing on dear' and whistling..oh dont get me started the
inane whistling. Considering putting a note through there door.

Im disappointed to read comments that Gabion walls wont do anything.
However, as some of these comments were put by..well..Im too polite to
say anything negative about someone...

lets hope they are wrong.

My understanding is, based on google research...

Corrigated Iron fence - reduction 17db ( a quiet library is around
40bg btw )
Timber ( a favourite on here!!! ) only 25db reduction

Brick wall - 40db

Breezeblock 50db

and finally a Gabion wall - around 60db.

So..my question to anyone with any proper knowledge...would if be of any
benefit? a little..? 7ft high remember..safety aspect too..dont want it
falling down...any tricks of the trade? Please share.

You also said 7 feet wide and that is what I based my prediction of bad
noise reduction upon. Unless the path between you and your neighbor is only
seven feet wide then sound will inevitably 'sneak' around the wall, no
matter what it might be. In the US when the authorities are required to put
up noise walls along highways they are usually at least 20feet tall and are
continuous for miles at a time and still they are only really effective in
blocking high-pitched tire noise so that the diesel lorry's or the
boy-racer's noisy exhaust still boom through with low frequencies.

Good luck with it. I'm just happy that I can only see my neighbors in the
distance when the trees are bare and can almost never hear anything they
get up to, no matter how raucous.