Old 18-03-2016, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Outdoor plants that can be particular;ly successfully grown indoors

"David D S" wrote
I was active on here up to about 5 years ago when I moved to China. I
am now back in the UK (Midlands), because my health has declined,
rendering me a little bit housebound, and that is the reason for this
post.

I cannot feasibly do any outdoor gardening just now because my feet and
legs dont work well enough. However, I do want to keep an active
interest in gardening. I hope, though this is a faint hope, that I
could improve in the future, though this would be a slow process.

So, my question is: I would like to grow some flowers that are usually
grown outside inside. I am hoping for flowers that give scent as well
as colour. Can any of you recommend particularly successful plants that
could be grown inside, even though they are usually looked upon as
outsoor plants?

I would be growing them in a living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms
which are a mixture of south, west, and north facing.

Ideally, I would like to grow for scent as well as colour, but I know
that will not always be possible. I'd be happy to grow either from seed
or by buying in plug or other types of growing plants. Simple herbs and
perhaps even tomatoes grown inside could also be a possibility.

Welcome back David, sorry to hear of your health problems.

My only comment on your request is why restrict it to outdoor plants as
there are some that thrive indoors, including flowering with a pleasant
perfume, whilst they will not take outdoor conditions. I am thinking of a
number of the small flowered Dendrobium orchids like D. kingianum and there
are others in that and different genera.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.