Old 01-04-2016, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
User Bp User Bp is offline

Default Do volunteer peas breed true?

Snow peas are one of the few vegetables that do well in my garden,
so well that I no longer have to buy seeds. They simply sprout on their own
and are reasonably productive for a couple of months in the spring, apparently
from pods overlooked or discarded.

Some of the pods are nearly stringless, others have pronounced strings even
when the pods are quite small (~2" long). It's been suggested that they have
"reverted" from a hybrid to a mongrel variety. I thought this impossible, as
pea flowers are said to be perfect and self-pollinating. Is this correct?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska