Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Do volunteer peas breed true?

On 3/31/2016 7:54 PM, User Bp wrote:
Snow peas are one of the few vegetables that do well in my garden,
so well that I no longer have to buy seeds. They simply sprout on their own
and are reasonably productive for a couple of months in the spring, apparently
from pods overlooked or discarded.

Some of the pods are nearly stringless, others have pronounced strings even
when the pods are quite small (~2" long). It's been suggested that they have
"reverted" from a hybrid to a mongrel variety. I thought this impossible, as
pea flowers are said to be perfect and self-pollinating. Is this correct?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

If they are hybrids, even the seeds from self-pollinating plants might
produce plants that vary from their parents.

--
David E. Ross

While many tributes to the late Supreme Court Associate Justice
Antonin Scalia now fill the news media, his legacy was not
necessarily positive. See my "What Price Order, Mr. Justice Scalia?"
at http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_scalia_wrong.html.