Old 22-04-2016, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default last years seeds?

In article , T wrote:

Hi All,

I still have seeds I bought last year left over:
tomatillo, zukes, and I forget.

Would they still be good? Or should I buy new ones?

Worth a try. I planted a butt-load (10-20 seeds in each of 4 cells) of
my 2012 tomatillo seed since I have not had any recently and the last
time I tried them I didn't get any. I have 3 probable seedlings
(amazingly, in 3 cells) which are not yet large enough to verify. I get
volunteers in the garden, but those barely get a fruit ripe before they
freeze (even ore tender than basil) so if I don't get seedling
pre-started, I'm pretty much out of luck on tomatillos.

I planted 2009 tomato seeds 4 to a cell - they came up all 4, faster
than the 2016 seed 1 to a cell

The "I forget" will be "It Depends", but if it's 2015 seed, try it, most
likely some will come up. I can't recall how my overage zukes have done
in the past and don't have any running right now.

My seeds are not in the fridge.

I have generally poor luck with old nasturtium seed and old basil seed.