Old 09-05-2016, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default tomatillo potting question

In article , T wrote:

On 05/07/2016 07:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I'm not Ecnerwal , but I do support my tomatoes . I use a cage made from
6x6" concrete reinforcing wire . About 2 feet diameter and 5 feet tall , and
tomatoes often grow over the top and drape to the outside . Those same cages
(or the shorter ones made from the same re-wire) work well for cucumbers ,
field peas , and pole beans .

I have seen tomatoes done with and without cages. I personally
use cages.

Tomatillos go all over the place, so I was thinking of just
giving up on the cages.

I normally put the tomatillos in tomato cages. I prefer them upright
rather than laying on the ground. The type Snag/Terry descibes are
better than the commercial type, IMPE, though I have been using the
standard ones lately (used to have the re-mesh type when I grew up, have
not rounded the tuit to make a set.)

If 8" is even close to working you may have drastically different
tomatillos than I grow...