Old 22-05-2016, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Mulching downsides

I started year-before-last to use a straw mulch to help control weeds and
add some organic matter to our soil here . This in addition to going
pesticide-free because of our bees has caused a population explosion in the
insect life , particularly worms and grubs . That increased population has
attracted the critters that eat them ... particularly 'possums and 'coons .
And they are raising hell out in the garden . Not a morning goes by that I
don't have to put one or more plants back in the ground , mostly the peppers
..
I bought an electric fence setup mostly for deer (which aren't usually a
problem this early on) , but it looks like I need to get it installed and
run one wire about 5"-6" from the ground to try to keep the small critters
out . Has this worked for any of y'all or am I wasting my time trying ? The
alternative is either live traps or bullets ... the problem is that there's
basically an endless supply of critters when you live in a clearing out in
the woods , and I can't trap or kill them all .
--
Snag