Old 09-06-2016, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default vegi scraps bucket?

On 6/8/2016 5:27 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

You guys have mentioned that yo stick your vegi scraps into
a bucket, then bury.

Any special bucket? Any special type of metal/plastic? Do
you seal it with a lid?

Many thanks,
-T

Ours go into a empty whipped topping containaer , then to the hen house for
further processing . The results go into my compost pile , then to the
garden after a suitable time .

Years ago we had ten acres to play with and had ducks, chickens, and a
commercial rabbitry. Rabbit manure can straight into the garden, doesn't
burn at all. The other poop had to be composted to be worthwhile. Had a
tall roost for the chickens and a door behind the roost. A friend who
was a cabinet maker gave me all his sawdust and that went under the
chickens roost. The mixture of chicken manure and sawdust was worth its
weight in gold. That was some truly rich stuff.

Not to mention that I worked in a chemical plant for a living and next
door was a fertilizer plant. Used to bring a gallon or two of liquid
fertilizer occasionally. The kids accidentally put to much on a stand of
corn and we had twelve feet tall corn with no ears. At least the cow,
goats, rabbits, etc. enjoyed the chopped corn stalks. G

I'm glad we did that when we were in our twenties, in our mid to late
seventies we wouldn't have the energy.

Picking cucumbers daily, reckon we might have to make some relish or
pickles, we sure as heck can't eat them all.

Good news, it isn't raining at this moment, the ground is still squishy
though.

George