Old 23-06-2016, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Magnolia Yellow rain arrived with spots what are they?

On 16/06/16 21:15, Butterfly wrote:
I ordered this Magnolia small tree online and it has arrived with spots
on the leaves, I am a bit concerned at what it is. The seller has told
me its a deciduous tree so it wont matter but I'm worried in case its an
infection or something or it will come back regardless if I remove the
leaves or indeed spread to anything else

Can anyone tell me what this could possibly be please, photos attached,
Thanks

|Filename: 20160610_140912 (2).jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16423|
|Filename: 20160610_140918 (2).jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16424|

Rainspots?

Seriously, it doesn't look like anything to worry about. It looks to me
the sort of damage associated with something crawling across a leaf bud
and maybe taking some nibbles from the outer bit of it, and collateral
damage occurring to the leaf coiled up inside.

Magnolias seem to have very few problems as far as fungal and bacterial
infections are concerned. Have a look he
http://plantsciences.utk.edu/pdf/Kno...lia93-2013.pdf

By the way, are you sure the name is "Yellow Rain"? I couldn't see that
name in a search for it (I was interested as I have "Yellow Lantern").

--

Jeff