Old 01-07-2016, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default garlic beds?

On 06/29/2016 04:48 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Would it hurt to plant then 6" above where I dump
all the melon rinds, etc.? Or do I need to
wait awhile?

do you have worms in your garden soil?

Of all my digging this season, I have found two worms. Well,
one and two halves (victim of my ax).

I am tempted to go buy fishing worms, but I don't
think they are the right kind.

melon rinds are like worm crack. they
love 'em. will eat through them in a few
days here when i put them in the buckets.
i don't put all of them in one bucket (too
much moisture at once).

You mentioned that. That is why I now keep melon rinds.
I was thinking of burying them under my new garlic bed

hmm, i think the cost of keeping stuff in
the freezer or fridge is not worth it

They are in the freeze with my grass fed beef order. Not
costing me anything other than the initial cool down.

I froze them because I did not want any decomposing until
I buried them. Didn't want to deprive the worms of anything.

and
would bury them in the gardens asap,

I only get to garden seriously about two days a week
do to my wife's health issues I won't go into.

spread
them out around and bury them deep enough
that flies/animals won't be attracted to
them. let the worms work their magic on
them.

That was my goal!

i fed some of my worms the strawberry
tops that were fermenting. i think some of
the worms may have gotten a bit drunk.
*hic* since i just restarted most of the
buckets not too long ago i was curious to
see how the worms were doing. they looked
to be doing pretty good.

songbird

Question: do I have to wait a certain amount of time before
planting my garlic above the rinds? I was going to spread the
rinds out about 8 to 12" down and plant the garlic cloves
about 2" down.