Old 04-07-2016, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Deer and gardens

On 7/4/2016 8:39 AM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
First time I set out a trap to get whatever was going under my garden
fence I caught a skunk. I did not know how to handle them at the time
but now understand that they will not spray when confined and I could
have removed it to someplace else.

i didn't know that, but i wonder if a
blanket over them would be a good idea too
as i sure wouldn't want them to spray by
accident in the trunk of a car and not have
it contained...

I've caught numerous groundhogs and raccoons in my Hav-a-hart trap but
wish I had the largest one as some raccoons get very large and my double
door trap will not hold them. I've had raccoons uproot plants.

yes, like i said, they think many of the common
fertilizers are food (they smell like fish because
many places use fish emulsion). they also eat grubs,
worms, snails, slugs, crayfish, frogs, etc. so if
it smells like a worm they'll go after it too.

the other problem with trapping raccoons is that
as soon as you catch one, another will come along
and take up residence, so if you can get your
garden fenced and keep them out well enough then
they are mostly harmless. around here with all the
decorations and pieces of wood they can go around
flipping them looking for worms,etc. underneath
but i don't mind them because they do stay out of
the veggie gardens. unfortunately, Ma hates them
and wants to trap them so we have to move them on.

the ones that don't do any damage are the ones
i'd like around, but i figure we'll keep on trapping
them and end up with the mean ones. a few of them
have been rather snarly. the most recent one was
young and very tame.

Rabies is endemic around here and a woman was bitten last week a few
miles from here by a rabid raccoon so you have to be careful with
anything you trap.

yeah, we are.

they also have the worst poo/pee stench i can't
eat breakfast if we're going to transport one...

Electric fence should work for deer. Friend had one around his garden
and deer did not trouble him.

Your electric fence should work for deer.

put up about 4ft high and put a little peanut
butter on it. one lick and they won't be back...

songbird

I've had them on my deck, turned the light on, opened the slider and
yelled and they refused to leave.

Once sprayed them in the face with wasp spray jet to get rid of them.

This year, if wife is asleep, they are going to meet Mr. Pellet Gun.