Old 01-08-2016, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sweetheart[_2_] sweetheart[_2_] is offline

Default pond weed problems -advice.

Hi,

I have tried googling the internet without much real help.
Long story (as short as possible). But if you cannot be bothered, jump to the end on (g).

a) I have a small pond. Its been in the garden before my time - 20 odd years maybe? Its a pre formed pond around 10ft by 5ft?

b) it used to be home to a colony of newts and many frogs ( I counted 15 at its height).

c) around five years ago, frogs seemed to disappear - just like that ,no apparent reason.

d) I cleaned pond and found I still had newts, so retained it. I have frogs in the garden but none in the pond.

e) I put in a marginal buttercup a couple of years ago. There is a small water hawthorn in there (or was) and I bunged a bunch of that floating oxygenator in each year. Thats all I did.

f) from nowhere this last year, a plant has emerged which I have googled and identified as "parrot feather" - its some ind of swamp weed it seems. Its covered the pond in a thick mat over nearly all the water. I did not buy this plant. I am clueless as to how it got there, hence itstaken me so long to realise I had an invader.

I have taken it out this morning (pulled it out wholesale - and lost all my little water hawthorn etc. with it).

f) I was going to get rid of the pond as I had clearly killed it somehow although I did not try, and given the matted weed I just thought all was dead.. However, asI was about to stick a hole in it and let it drain, a frog popped up. So clearly life is still there.

g) So, what can I do now to help Mr Frog (and any froggie friends and newts - I assume they are there still). I will not evict them. The pond is half full of dirty water. Its dark , muddy and murky and there are no plants in it anymore ( no cover, no food etc.)

(I have left the matted weed out of the pond but beside it so any creepy crawlies can get back if they can ..... how can I dispose of said weed once I have allowed the life to move out?)

Thanks for reading. Advice would be welcome.

I am in Cornwall by the way in case that makes a difference to pond life or advice.