Old 05-08-2016, 07:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default okay, it is the soil!

Hi All,

Lesson learned, maybe.

This year for the first time I had reseeded tomatillos
sprouting up. Two of the guys seemed rather aggressive
and I was wondering if I was going to get some mutant
tomatillos. But they kept getting bigger and bigger.
Now I was curious. The leaves matches the pattern on
my other tomatillo, but now were five times there size.
And two and three feet tall.

Now I was really curious. So I got to thinking. These
look a lot like sunflowers. My neighbor grew the things
last year, so I wondered if he grew them again. Now I
am 5'8" and the fence is 6'. I was standing back about
20 feet. He had a sunflower sticking up about three feet
above the fence line. Sucker must me 9' tall! He had
a bunch of others, telltale flower and all, about 6' tall.

So the stinkers were sunflowers from his seeds last year!
But mine were only 2' and 3' tall. Hard on the ego,
black thumb and all.

Then I started to think. My neighbor imported soil from
the local soil and compost place and used raised beds.

Were mine had decided to grow, was in the decorative rocks:
decomposed sandstone covered for 22+ years. Some how they
had found a hole in the plastic and took root.

There is no other difference between me and him OTHER
than the soil. Same water, same light, same temperature,
same sun, same everything, except the soil.

Do I suppose too much? Or is this a good demonstration
on why I need to drastically improve my soil? (Where
I have been improving it, I seem to be doing pretty well
this year, so far.)

-T