Old 12-08-2016, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default okay, it is the soil!

T wrote:
I can't afford to barely eat with this recession
that won't quit, so I can not afford to import soil.
:'(

yeah, i do understand, i'm underwater too each
month, just hoping interest rates can go up enough
that i can break even.

I am noticing that where ever I has added Peat Moss
to increase acidity and hold moisture, and did
your recommendation about burying weeds and other
vegetable matter, I am having good luck.

great! always keep your eyes open for free
organic materials. old veggies at the store
that might get thrown out, free for the asking
or if you get to a greenhouse and they are
throwing away old plants. ask them. or friends
who are throwing away potted plants. ask them.
wood pieces from tree cutting, bark, etc. from
wood cutting, sawdust, etc. it's all worth it
if you can get it. any time you see a tree
service cutting something down, stop and talk
and perhaps they'll deliver them for a few $ as
it might save them a lot of miles and a tipping
fee. talk to the neighbors.

mostly, just keep eyes peeled and some things
work out. a few inches of wood chips after a few
years turn into some great stuff.

and never give up! heehee!

The neighbor's sunflower collection confirmed my suspicion
about my miserable soil

Got three large zukes this Monday. Tons of Purslane too.
My cherry tomatoes are starting to turn from orange to
red. Got about five Chinese lanterns on my Tomatillos.
And my Ancho has got little peppers all over it.
Just flower so far on my eggplants. No sign of squash
bugs for a while now.

Things are looking up.

Man fresh zukes from the garden are good eating!

we did 21 quarts of pickles yesterday. going to
be super busy soon as tomatoes are finally starting
to turn.

have you ever tried pattypan squash?

songbird