Old 12-08-2016, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default okay, it is the soil!

On 8/12/2016 12:09 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article , T wrote:

I can't afford to barely eat with this recession
that won't quit, so I can not afford to import soil.
:'(

Ask around and look around for anything useful - lawn clippings, dead
leaves, brush/chips/trimmings, any food waste or food preparation
byproducts, coffee grounds (particularly at the coffee-shop scale, but
any help...) as well as the more traditional herbivore food byproducts
(who's got a pet rabbit? A pet pony? A horse? A Guinea Pig? - they all
generate garden improving material, and many of them throw it away or
consider it a problem to get rid of.) It's more convenient if you can
find one large source, but many small sources add up.

Be careful with horse manure, many owners give them a lot of drugs to
keep them healthy. The drugs will show up in the manure sooner than
later. We got some manure from a fellow with race horses but I had the
manure tested first, threw it into a nearby dumpster. Grass and hay fed
critters without drugs are okay. Rabbit manure is the creme de la creme
of fertilizers, doesn't burn, composts readily, good stuff.