Old 29-08-2016, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeßus[_16_] Jeßus[_16_] is offline

Default Storing Potatoes

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 23:54:02 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On this topic, does anyone have some good storage solutions for garlic
and pumpkins? by that I mean aside from the common methods... which
work well, but not for long enough I find.

depends upon what type of garlic and what
condition it is in when harvested.

first make sure they are well cured and then
place them in flats and cover them with towels
to keep them dark. i then leave them in the
garage all winter (which does get freezing cold
and the temperature and humidity fluctuates).

the garlic i picked a few days ago will be fine
up until next spring or later.

in contrast i brought some inside and stored it
in flats here in my room. it didn't do nearly as
well. too warm, not enough humidity, too much
light, not sure which or of course all of these
factors could be a problem.

A somewhat belated thank you songbird, I like the towel idea which I
will try. I've been hanging my garlic in a garage too, which keeps
cool most of the time.