Old 03-09-2016, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BobHobden BobHobden is offline

Default Bizarre field crop

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

BobHobden wrote:

I passed a field (between Fowlmere and Triplow, for locals) that was
planted with a mixture of what I think was maize, flax, buckwheat and
Phacelia. The buckwheat and Phacelia were in flower, the flax would
be in a week (given the current weather), and the maize was doing
nothing much and was the same height as the others. What on EARTH
was this planted for?

It was a fairly large, unfenced field, is not a pheasant-shooting area,
is not an area where silage is important, and there were no hives
(pretty obviously, given the maize).

Green manure, AKA cover crop. To be ploughed in, later in the year.
That would explain the buckwheat, flax and phacelia. Not sure about
the maize.

I thought of that, but it doesn't really fit. The plants are more
the density of a crop, far larger and more mature than green manure
is normally let get to, and it's not a common practice around here.
Still, it is the only thing that makes sense, as you imply.

May it be something to do with the RSPB, they have a place at Fowlmere.
Might be worth a phone call to check.

Ah! THAT makes sense. Especially if what looked like maize was
actually millet. Clearly they had sown with birdseed :-)

It's not this place is it...

http://www.rspb.org.uk/forprofession...ming/hopefarm/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.