Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Derek[_6_] Derek[_6_] is offline

Default Treating Wood in Garden

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 12:06:56 -0000 (UTC), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

Creosote is deadly to cats and dogs, proberbly best to stick with some
of the new treatments, and not the 'old' tin in the back of the shed.

That myth is crap, and seems to
have been invented to encourage the public to accept the creosote
ban. Like so many things, it is mildly carcinogenic, but is really
only a danger to people who work with it all the time - so the
solution adopted was to ban it for private use. The same was done
for benomyl and many other things.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm
Nick Maclaren.

My post was concerning cats and dogs, and not humans
While the avage man in the street would not go round licking freshley
painted fencing, animals will get into contact with it.
I speak from experince, as one of my cats came in frothing at the
mouth, smell of cresote on her fur, we gather she had walked/rubbed on
a freshley treated fence, and then 'TRIED TO LICK IT OFF'

Hence a very quick trip to the vets, who gave her a purge, and then
said the only thing to do was to wash her, and keep on washing, untill
all the trace of smell was removed, but pets have died. Two hours in
the kitchen sink, and the only way we could tell if the cresote had
been removed from her paws, was to suck on her paws to see if we could
taste any residude.

Thankfully our cat survived.