View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 20-09-2016, 05:04 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2016
Default Managing thick grass in overgrown orchard

Hello,

I’ve recently taken on the management of a somewhat overgrown 1.5 acre orchard and I’m struggling to keep the thick hill-grass, docks, nettles and thistles under control. I’ve used a mixture of a medium-powered strimmer and an Austrian scythe, but it’s a good 6-8 day job with either. Is there something that I can buy that can cut this in a day or so? I don’t have a tractor, van, fork-lift, or the like, and the access is poor. As such I need something that is both small enough to fit in a car-boot and light enough to lift, push, etc. I want a tool that can cut 4-6 months growth of this grass, etc. 2-3 times a year. Does anyone have some recommendations?

Am I correct in thinking that a power scythe would be to bulky, heavy and expensive? I was considering a very powerful second-hand Stihl brushcutter or a wheeled trimmer, but, whilst quicker that what I’m currently using, would either be a sufficient enough upgrade to warrant buying one or the other? Ultimately, the machines I’ve ended up considering are the following:
SHERPA Paddock Master Drum Mower
SHERPA Bravo Rough Cutter

I would be delighted to hear any advice. Many thanks.