Old 02-11-2016, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Trellis vs. netting

On 11/1/2016 10:00 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

I am putting a Distictis (Rivers) vine against a stucco garage wall.
Prices for trellises are a factor, since I understand this vine
spreads horizontally as well as vertically, so I would need to buy at
least three,

As an alternative, I checked "netting" -- to use a loose term - and
see much lower prices. Could I manage with a very strong netting,
which I have seen advertised on several sites, properly secured from
above on the garage roof. And secured on the sides -- how???

TIA

Consider using chicken wire or bird mesh. The latter is a form of
chicken wire with smaller "cells". It will last longer and is stronger
than netting.

I made a free-standing trellis using two 6-foot slotted L-strips and two
4-foot slotted L-strips. I bolted the strips together to make a frame 6
feet high and 4 feet wide. To make the frame rigid, I used two 6-foot
slotted flat strips crossing the frame and bolted to the 4-foot
L-strips. I fastened a 6-foot length of 4-foot wide chicken wire in the
frame using large, unbent paper clips. After fastening the chicken
wire, I bolted two large stove washers (about 2 inches in diameter) --
one on each side of the chicken wire -- to the intersection of the flat
strips. I have star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) covering my
trellis, which separates my back yard from a side yard where we have our
trash bins.

My trellis has feet to keep it upright, with the feet anchored to rebar
pounded into the ground. However, I don't think you want something
free-standing.

Instead you want something hanging from your eaves. You might try
making two or three panels similar to mine that are taller than six
feet, but not so tall they touch the ground when hung. It should be
sufficient for them to end abut 1-2 feet above the ground and use twine
temporarily to train your vine onto the trellis. Hang the panels from
your eaves, about 1 foot down and a foot away from the wall of your
house. Use large hooks. Hang the panels adjacent to each other. After
they are hung, their vertical L-strips can be bolted together, making
one large trellis. This will be much stronger than a single large panel.

Sunset's "Western Garden Book" says that all Distictis becomes quite
heavy. Thus, you need a very sturdy trellis. Whether or not the vine
will cling to stucco, you really do not want it growing directly on your
house's walls. This is true with most vines. Otherwise, you might get
mold or insects infesting the walls.

--
David E. Ross

Donald Trump claims everyone likes him. Does that
include his ex-wives? How about the students who
discovered that their education at Trump University
was worthless? And how about the contractors,
suppliers, and employees he stiffed in his several
bankruptcies?