Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Early Alliums

On 10/11/2016 20:23, David Hill wrote:
On 10/11/2016 16:58, Spider wrote:
On 10/11/2016 15:46, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/11/16 10:28, Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/11/2016 15:10, Spider wrote:
I'm astonished to note that my Allium 'Summer Drummer' bulbs are
already
growing away. They were planted a bit late in October and are in
pots,
but I thought they'd come up late, not early .... certainly not this
early! Is anyone else seeing early summer bulbs coming up?
I'm concerned they won't flower at the right time, but there's not
much
I can do about it.

Among the odder things in flower are some very confused azaleas.
They got a bit of a shock yesterday when it snowed briefly.

I've got a dozen flowers on Ceanothus arboreus "Trewithen Blue ". But it
often has some flowers at this time, and also seems to be a lot hardier
than is usually stated.

Yes, I've known my Ceanothus (both thyr. repens and 'Concha') to put on
a few late flowers, although this is usually August/September, not
November. Fortunately, this shouldn't interfere with next year's
flowering period. I don't know what to expect with my Alliums. I'll
report back if I have flowers for Christmas.

I took these at the end of Oct.
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...bwbhw.jpg.html

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...ide5i.jpg.html

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...rh1gt.jpg.html

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...4b8qz.jpg.html

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...u75g3.jpg.html

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...ixng8.jpg.html

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...9abip.jpg.html

And lastly
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...9ym10.jpg.html

These daffs now have the flower spikes with the flower bud turned over
into flowering position.
David@a mixed up side of Swansea Bay

Lovely pics, David, and some astonishing late colour. I seem to
remember(?)you were interested in early-flowering daffs, but November
with a flower-bud-elect is quite something. Obviously, I shouldn't be
quite so surprised to find my allium in active growth! Do post a pic
when that daff flowers, please. Do you know which one it is?

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London