Old 12-11-2016, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Humic Acid?

On 11/11/2016 07:10 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
My soil is very alkali. Is this a good idea?

https://www.amazon.com/Down-Earth-17...rds=humic+acid

humic acid is a somewhat weak acid which
is probably just leached from humus aka
rotten organic materials. probably no
better than what you would get from buying
bags of wood chips and letting them rot.

as you are trying to do things inexpensively
i always say go for whatever free organic
materials you can scrounge and keep growing
and harvesting weeds as well.

the mention of elemental sulfur as a pH
adjuster is ok, but what do you have to
hold that element in place? if you have
no topsoil, clay or loam it may mostly wash
or leach away.

songbird

Hi Songbird,

So something that stays put, such as peat moss.

I was thinking on this for my beds where I did not mix the
peat and the dirt too well and I did not have a lot of peat
left.

And I have no end to the table scraps. Also, I have
used compost for years and it did no good (the
nutrients in dirt won't break up in alkali dirt).

Thank you for the help,

-T