Old 15-11-2016, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default dihaloacetonitriles

Hi All,

According to Wikipedia, when you mix humic acid and drinking water
chlorine, you get a toxic substance called "dihaloacetonitriles"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humic_acid#Health_issues

"Humic and fulvic acids, when present in treated
drinking water, can react with the chemicals used
in the chlorination process to form disinfection
byproducts such as dihaloacetonitriles, which are
toxic to humans"

Hmmmm. I water my garden with chlorine containing tap
water. This is issue or just something else to worry
needlessly about?

Many thanks,
-T