Old 17-11-2016, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Sweet Pea Germinated

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message ...

On 16/11/2016 15:13, Bertie Doe wrote:
Two weeks ago Monty Don suggested Oct/Nov is a good time to sow. I've
had little luck with Spring sown. Poor germination and stunted growth.

10 days ago, I sowed half pkt on window sill and the other half in
greenhouse. Total of 25 seeds in two 9" pots. 20+ have germinated. Pots
were 3/4 filled with garden soil, then topped with multi-purpose. I
watered them ONCE as per MDs instructions. I'll soon move the porch pot
to the coldframe and compare growth with the greenhouse pot.

It's a great system if we have a nice Spring, but a total disaster if it's
cool and damp. I'm going for a late spring sowing this time round

Yep you're probably right that Spring sown is best. My neighbour sowed in
early Sept in greenhouse and they're looking a bit leggy.

My local Trago Mills discount warehouse sells Fothergills, Unwins etc plus
the budget 'Dee Ree' brand. A month ago they discounted Dee Ree Spencer
mixed, down to 40p pkt. So I thought I'd give Monty Dons Autumn sown method
a whorl. I didn't see the prog, it might pay me look at Gardeners World
iPlayer. If my seedlings fail, I'll try again with a Jan sowing indoors
(suggested by Dee Ree) or coldframe as per Unwins :-
http://www.unwins.co.uk/how-to-grow-...d-ggid168.html

They say early overwatering is the biggest menace :-) Meanwhile my
'coldframe' needs to be mouse-proofed, it's an old concrete 'Conqueror' coal
bunker. I've put an outdoor-grade plastic lid on it, which works OK.