Old 10-12-2016, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Humic Acid?

On 12/09/2016 08:37 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 12/9/2016 8:32 PM, T wrote:
On 11/12/2016 06:19 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
So something that stays put, such as peat moss.

i like things that are bigger chunks for an
arid climate. then it can be used as a top
mulch to help keep up soil moisture levels and
it protects against the heat/wind evaporation.

pretty much any organic material will help
through time. keep looking around and stop any
time you see people doing tree work and ask
them what they do with the wood/wood chips, etc.
never hurts to ask.

adding some clay will help in so many ways
if your soil lacks it. clay/loam added to
sandy soil will make your other efforts work
out much better too.

without being there and seeing the soil you
are working with it's hard to tell what is best
to do first.

I was thinking on this for my beds where I did not mix the
peat and the dirt too well and I did not have a lot of peat
left.

did it blow away?

have you planted any alfalfa/clover or
any other cover crops?

And I have no end to the table scraps. Also, I have
used compost for years and it did no good (the
nutrients in dirt won't break up in alkali dirt).

it's all residual humus in the end, it can take a
lot of organic materials to end up at just a little
humus. in primarily sand too much gets leached
away.

i can have alkali dirt here that is powder from
crushed limestone yet it grows some plants very well.
poppies, lavender, love in a mist and as you've found
purselane does well almost anywhere.

songbird

I am after the instant acid / base reaction to neutralizer
the base in the soil. And Humic acid is not toxic
to plants and worms.

At $12/pound???

Ya, I know. I am only going to use one box.