Old 09-06-2017, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dorotheanthus bellidiformis (Mesembryanthemum crystallinum)

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
aka Livingstone Daisy aka Ice Plant. I can't help with your query, but
in 'Mesembs of the World'*, under Dorotheanus, it says that D.
bellidiformis subsp. bellidiformis is extremely variable, which may be
a simpler explanation for the uncharacteristic leaf shape of yours.

Thanks. That could well explain it, very simply. Anyway, grown with
ample water, it has a good texture for salad but next to no taste.
So I need to see what it's like when stressed.

IME mesembs in general root pretty easily from cuttings. Whether
that's true of the annual ones I don't know, but you could try a
cutting from the plant in question and after it's rooted and
established, stress it to see if it changes habit.

I have several plants, all much the same, and they will get stressed
at some stage, but it's a good idea of your to do an experiment.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.