Old 25-06-2017, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default Cut down extensive brambles, or leave them be?

In message , Al-W
writes

I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with
brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan
to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if
cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble
growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to
go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Why not harvest the berries? They will soon be in season. You can use
them in pies, make wine, etc.

My late wife couldn't take red wine, either as a drink or in cooking. So
instead of using red wine in a boeuf bourguignon, I would add blackberry
wine.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France