Old 25-06-2017, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default Trenched potatos

On 25/06/2017 20:19, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:25:04 +0100, Vegegrower
wrote:

I've set all this year's crop away in trenches.

I bedded them in with my own home made compost and I use fertilizer in
the form of cow manure dissolved in water. Basically a couple of trowel
fulls of manure in an old pedal bin bucket and filled with water, then
left a few days for the manure to dissolve in the water.

Now its occurred to me the best way to water the trenches is to hoe a
channel in the along the center of the hilled up trenches so when I
water, its soaks down on top of the potatoes rather then running down
the sides of the hill.

Is it too late to plant potatoes?

I bought some compost [Lidl] and a couple of approx 25l garden pots
with the intention of having a go.

Looked on Ebay for seed potatoes and it seems that I should have done
this in April.

I thought compost was a sort of manure, that probably explains why a
similar attempt a few years back wasn't a success.

I would like to have a go if there are any varieties that can be
planted now. They would be in a shady area also, so I suppose this
wouldn't help?

Regards

AB

Just remember that the roots are at the bottom of the plants, potatoes
are formed from shoots going up the stem, so you want the water and food
at the bottom not the top.