Old 25-06-2017, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] Ross@home.now is offline

Default Garlic scapes

We like garlic, use a lot and always grew more than we could use.
This year we cut back to about 120 feet of row from the 200 feet of
years past. Also, in years past we've grown as many as 26 different
hard-neck varieties but this year it's only about 18.
That brings me to the subject of scapes. With the many different
garlic varieties there comes different scapes harvest times. I guess I
should really say scapes removal, rather than harvest and yesterday I
removed about another 2-1/2 pounds of scapes.
I don't say harvest because in years past, we've tried grilling
scapes, using them in stir fries, pickling them, etc. But, a few years
back we both came to the conclusion that the best use for garlic
scapes was gently placing them into the compost pile .
I seem to say 'in years past' quite often but, that's probably because
there is a lot of years in the past. I'm 83 this year but with a few
health issues it's my wonderful, hard working wife who does most of
the gardening. Then again, she's just a kid of 76.
Best wishes to you followers of r.g.e.
Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada