Old 26-06-2017, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default Cut down extensive brambles, or leave them be?

In message , Chris Hogg
writes

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:53:32 +0100, David
wrote:

In message , Al-W
writes

I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with
brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan
to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if
cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble
growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to
go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

If you leave them then you make things worse for all surounding land as
the birds eat the berries and then drop the seed where ever they perch
or even fly over.

+1
We live in the country, surrounded by hedgerows full of brambles. One
of the commonest weeds in the garden are bramble seedlings. They come
up everywhere, but especially under shrubs where the birds perch.

Oh, I do agree because I do have the same problem here in France. The
seedlings drive me mad! But if I get rid of my brambles I'm still going
to get seeds from my neighbours so I'm still going to have the problem.

However I am very fond of the fruit and I suppose I'm prepared to put up
with this inconvenience. When I suggested to the OP that he harvest the
fruit I really meant for this year since it will be only a few weeks
away and it seems a shame to throw away something for free where you
would pay quite a lot for them in the supermarkets. As you say, the
birds will be spreading the seeds which, presumably they have been doing
for many years since!

Well, we've warned the OP. It's now his decision!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France