Old 28-06-2017, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Cut down extensive brambles, or leave them be?

On 26/06/2017 17:04, Al-W wrote:
On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 10:53:35 PM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
On 25/06/2017 15:35, David Rance wrote:
In message , Al-W
writes

I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with
brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan
to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if
cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble
growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to
go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Why not harvest the berries? They will soon be in season. You can use
them in pies, make wine, etc.

My late wife couldn't take red wine, either as a drink or in cooking. So
instead of using red wine in a boeuf bourguignon, I would add blackberry
wine.

David

I would spray with Brushwood killer, then when they have died off you
could burn the dead stems. If they have been there for several years as
you seem to imply then you will only be able to spray in about 10 ft at
the time.
If you leave them then you make things worse for all surounding land as
the birds eat the berries and then drop the seed where ever they perch
or even fly over.
As for keeping them for the fruit, you need very long arms to reach into
the centre of a 1/4 acre plot.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Regarding brushwood killer, I'd need a lot of it. Can anyone recommend a cost-effective one to buy?

Many thanks,
Al-W

Year round blackberries from the freezer. Joy!