Old 29-06-2017, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cut down extensive brambles, or leave them be?

On 25/06/2017 11:34, Al-W wrote:
I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown
with brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't
plan to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm
wondering if cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate
increased new bramble growth. I want to minimize the number of times
per year that I need to go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

I have done it more than once on derelict abandoned overgrown land.

My solution is hit it with glyphosate early in the season. Wait until it
is tinder dry. Cut a couple of fire breaks - especially against hedges
and fences and then torch it. This pretty much sees off all the surface
weeds as well as brambles and grass. The blackened earth make sit easy
to see any new weeds resprouting.

IME Buttercup, holly and ivy may survive this.

I wouldn't bother clearing it until you are ready to replant or put it
to good use. If you wait a couple of weeks you can make bramble jelly!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown