Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Crowe Mike Crowe is offline

Default Cut down extensive brambles, or leave them be?

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 11:34:37 AM UTC+1, Al-W wrote:
I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Many thanks,
Al-W

Greetings all, first time on here for ages due to pressure of work. Some of you don't have a clue as to just how time consuming being retired is ;-)

I 'acquired' a piece of land of some half an acre a few years back in a similar state. What we did was ..........

Hack down all undergrowth with a riphook and have bonfires

Go over it all with a Roto Scythe

Then a cultivator

Then let the "grass" grow.

Let it out to a Horse owner for grazing

Get planning permission for a pair of houses.

Sell

..