Old 04-07-2017, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tool Advice

On 03/07/2017 23:03, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 3 Jul 2017 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
My mum gave me a cheque for my birthday and there are a couple of
things I need - advice please.

Small pruning saw (I have a bow saw - this is for bits too big for the
loppers)

I believe Felco do one which must be good, however I use a Wolf
Multitool one so with a short handle it's hand held or with a long
handle I can reach tall branches.

+1

I have the rival Gardena system but I wouldn't recommend it as the screw
way the tools are held in place is less reliable than with the Wolf kit.

Long handled shears - for around shrubs, trees, that sort of thing. Not
edging ones, which I have

Wolf do those too and I believe they are telescopic which is useful IME.

+1 for a telescopic option.
Aldi/Lidl had some not bad ones for a low price a month or two back.

Scythe.

Which brands, and how much do I need to pay?

Are you sure you want a scythe? Quite a dangerous hand tool!
I do have a small sickle which does some jobs more easily and with a lot
less faff than a strimmer (which invariably won't start jams its cord).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown