Old 07-07-2017, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Old roses

On 07/07/2017 11:19, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 10:36:54 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 10:20:05 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

I have some roses that I quite like, but they're rather old, too. I
wouldn't expect that to be a problem, and it mostly isn't. But some
have formed a large woody lump at the base (not suprising after years of
pruning), and the plants seem only able to make new shoots around it,
coming out horizontally, which doesn't help their habit. I can cut bits
of it away, although I'm not sure that helps; but does it mean that
something else is wrong? It occurred to me that it might be happening
because the plants aren't buried deeply enough (and so not rotting away
where they should)? Or is it time to replace them?

Two things: Why not try taking cuttings? http://tinyurl.com/ydevb5rq

I would, but I've always assumed the top bits were slower-growing bits
grafted onto a more vigorous root stock, and that a cutting wouldn't be
anything like as healthy?

I've always understood that commercial growers use bud grafting
because it enables them to build up their stock of any particular
rose, very quickly, rather than because the scion was slower growing
or less vigorous than the rootstock, unlike fruit trees for example,
where the rootstock has a major influence on how the scion behaves.
But I may be wrong.

Most roses (not all ) will grow more strongly on their own roots than
the rootstock they are budded onto. The problem roses tend to be the
yellows and oranges which dont seem to do that well as cuttings.

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall