Old 07-07-2017, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dan S. MacAbre[_2_] Dan S. MacAbre[_2_] is offline

Default Old roses

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/07/17 11:28, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

Two things: Why not try taking cuttings? http://tinyurl.com/ydevb5rq

I would, but I've always assumed the top bits were slower-growing bits
grafted onto a more vigorous root stock, and that a cutting wouldn't be
anything like as healthy?

I've always understood that commercial growers use bud grafting
because it enables them to build up their stock of any particular
rose, very quickly, rather than because the scion was slower growing
or less vigorous than the rootstock, unlike fruit trees for example,
where the rootstock has a major influence on how the scion behaves.
But I may be wrong.

Can't do any harm to try, I suppose :-)

When I pruned my roses this February I simply stuck the prunings in the
ground. Some rooting took place; I am informed by a old gardener that if
you try to take cuttings this way you need at least 4 leaf joints buried
underground for the cutting to root. I've no idea if this is true or not
- or even if it applies to all roses - but in general most roses pruned
down in winter will give you very long cuttings with considerably more
than 4 leaf joints. You've nothing to lose by trying to root those.

I will definitely try that. I've often found that if you bury enough of
something with a bit sticking out it will grow. Might be a bit hot at
the moment, though :-)

I missed the pruning this year. They never really stopped growing last
Winter, so I thought it might not be best to cut them all down.