Old 25-08-2017, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Raised Beds [was] two pics from a few days ago

On 8/24/2017 7:55 PM, Derald wrote:
Well, did you survive 'til first day? Are you in USA? Where? USDA
climate zone is enough, actually.

Muggles wrote:

Wow ... My garden is a handful of raised beds. lol I've neglected it,
too, because it just got so hot.

Don't feel alone: I think a few others in the ng are using raised
beds, too.. I keep nine of them (±3'x8'), sitting atop ninety feet of
Florida sand, plus four elevated containers filled with from no less
than twenty–five, to forty–five gallons of soil mix. Since I'm in a
climate that allows year-'round gardening, most of the beds produce
_something_ year-'round. Mid-January to mid-February, July, and August
are the least productive months but right now, along with a smattering
of relatively heat-tolerant herbs, I have "southern" peas, okra,
eggplant, peppers (emerald giant, california wonder, It. pepperoncini,
two kinds of japs, Tabasco), yellow squash, strawberries. The squash
and strawberries aren't liking the summer sun at all. As a rule, yellow
squash is a spring and a fall crop down here, not a summer crop, and the
strawberries are simply ground cover right now. They're usually grown
as cool-season annuals.
Hot? Yep. And where I am, the high humidity is a summertime
constant.
Installed dripline irrigation in beds and containers in 2011-2012.
Driplines in containers proved impractical: More expedient just to draw
a few gallons of water and dump them in than to fiddle with irrigation
fittings.

I'm thinking next year I'm not going to do as much as I did this year.

Is this the first time you've thought that? ...thought so.

The husband always starts out like gangbusters wanting to plant
everything under the sun, but then he doesn't follow through with taking
care of what he planted.

Yeah, but it's always over pretty quickly. So divert his
enthusiasm to something productive: Vacuum cleaning, dishwashing,
laundry, etc.

We also get over run with bushes and cane that keeps coming in from the
neighbors yard behind us. I have plenty of dried cane poles every year,
though!

What is "cane"? We have a stand of bamboo along a fenceline that
has waxed and waned for forty years, to my certain knowledge. I use
bamboo poles in the garden for trellis supports, vining plant supports,
predator insect perches. Had a major bamboo die-off four or five years
past. Dunno whether due to absence of water, life cycle, or what but it
has rebounded with new daughters at layered joints. We layered some
joints eight or nine years ago but I've never checked to see whether any
of those "took" but a substantial proportion of the "new generation" is
easily twenty feet tall.

River cane, found around most creeks, swamps, any wet spot in the south.
Around here we called it Texas Bamboo but it is still just common river
cane.