Old 26-08-2017, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Where is everyone?

Derald wrote:
and when to dump in more predators. The last were applied in Nov 2011.
The predatory nematodes take out a couple of troublesome "leaf miner"
gnats, beetle larvae, and some other nematodes. Of course they may be
the reason I never see any _large_ earthworms in the garden but those
things happen. Or maybe those worms just don't get big; who cares? At
least the don't seem to molest ground–dwelling instars of wasps.

some of the compost worms (that live on or near the
surface don't get very large at all) as contrasted to
the night crawlers which reach 6-12 inches and are
quite fat. these usually like places with some clay
in the soil.

See what happens when you go around turning over rocks and poking
at stuff with a stick?

did some of that today. big honkin' rocks, probably
weigh 300-500lbs each. they were in the way and needed
to be moved for the most recent Mom project. not sure
where they are going now, but i hope it is downhill (for
some measure of hill that we do have here).

in for a break now from weeding and continuing the work
on that north garden. i hope in two more days and i can
give it a quick once over again to get any weeds that have
sprouted and then on to the next project. the strawberries
i've transplanted as i've gone along have put on some new
leaves. i wish i had enough mulch for the whole area but
i have to be content with weed scraps and some leaf mold
i dug up that was stuck under there a few years ago.

all this digging in there is good to mix things up a bit
but it is also letting me get all the pieces of plastics,
metals, glass and shards of pottery that got in there some-
how. most of it came from the bad batch of compost i'm
sure. and of course, it is always good to be able to say
hi to my wormie friends.

songbird