Old 31-08-2017, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default Allotment Scorpion

On 31 Aug 2017 10:18, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 09:46:30 +0100, john west
wrote:

Recently a Scorpion was reported seen on our Nature Garden at our

North
London Allotment.

What kind of a risk might this pose to children visiting this part of
the allotment? And what steps if any could be taken to removing such
insects? Thanks.

Almost certainly, no risk at all. Scorpions have been resident in the
UK for a century and a half, mostly in dockland areas where they
probably came in on imported goods. The best known is the
Yellow-Tailed scorpion, that has a thriving colony on the Isle of
Sheppy, centred on the dockland area of Sheerness. They can reach 2
inches long, apparently, but their sting is relatively harmless, being
no worse than a bee or wasp sting, although if the victim is allergic
to such stings, the effects could be serious. But that applies equally
to bee and wasp stings for those individuals, and bees and wasps are
ubiquitous. See for example this wildlife web site:
http://www.jasonsteelwildlifephotogr...-scorpions.php

Also in some parts of the underground in London I understand.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden